Rara Lake Trek (14 Day)
Trekking through the Rara & Jumla region is an interesting as well as a beautiful journey. This trail will take you through barren landscapes alternated with beautiful pine forests, over multiple passes and through remote mountain villages where time seems to have stood still. Both Hindu Chhetri and Buddhist live in this part of Nepal.
This suggested trail ends at the serene Rara Lake, the biggest lake in Nepal. The crystal clear waters are surrounded by forests and mountains and on a still day one can see the mountains and clouds reflecting on the tranquil surface. Despite the natural beauty at offer in this remote part of Nepal very few tourists find there way here and you’re likely to have the trail to yourself with some nice encounters with friendly locals.
If you’re feeling strong and you have the time you can combine this hike with a trip out to the beautiful Phoksundo Lake. You will need to add around 5 days to your itinerary for this trek.
March, April, May, September, October, November
Camping, Teahouse/Lodge, Homestay
Level of Difficulty
TIMS, Rara National Park Entrance Fee
- Day 1 Flight Kathmandu - Nepalgunj
- Day 2 Flight Nepalgunj - Juphal (2475 m), trek to Tripurakot (2100 m), 7 hrs
- Day 3 Tripurakot (2100 m) - Khaliban (3200 m) 7 hrs
- Day 4 Khaliban (3200 m) - Kaigaon (2610 m) via Blangra Lagna pass (3760 m) 7-8 hrs
- Day 5 Kaigaon (2610 m) - Chaurikot (3060 m) 7 hrs
- Day 6 Chaurikot (3060 m) - Chhotra (3380 m) via Maure Lagna Pass (3894 m) 6 hrs
- Day 7 Chhotra (3380 m) - Gothichaur (2650 m) 4-5 hrs
- Day 8 Gothichaur (2650 m) - Jumla Bazar (2540 m) 5 hrs
- Day 9 Jumla Bazar (2540 m) - Tharmare (3390 m) via Danphe Lagna Pass (3691 m) 5-6 hrs
- Day 10 Tharmare (3390 m) - Bhulbhule (3182 m) 7 hrs
- Day 11 Bhulbhule (3182 m) - Jhyarigaon (2635 m) via Ghurchi Lagna pass (3480 m) 6 hrs
- Day 12 Jhyarigaon (2635 m) - Rara Lake/National Park Headquarters (2990 m), 3 hrs
- Day 13 Rara Lake (2990 m) - short trek to Talcha Airport (2200 m) 2-3 hrs
- Day 14 Fly Talcha - Nepalgunj/Surkhet - Kathmandu