Rara Lake Trek
This is a short trek specifically designed for those with limited time but want to experience the beauty of Rara Lake. Rara National Park is Nepal’s smallest national park but arguably the most scenic. The pivotal feature of the National Park is Rara Lake – Rara lake is the biggest and deepest body of fresh water in the Himalayas at almost 10km2. The park is surrounded by snow-capped mountains, lush green forests with unique biodiversity. The lake is a hidden gem and the trail leading to it is still considered off the beaten path and therefore still pristine.
This trek requires two return mountain flights; it is recommended to allow for extra time in the event of a flight cancellation.
March, April, May, September, October, November
Camping, Teahouse/Lodge, Homestay
Level of Difficulty
TIMS, Rara National Park Entrance Fee
- Day 1 Flight Kathmandu - Nepalgunj
- Day 2 Flight Nepalgunj – Talcha Airport (2,950m) Hike to Rara National Park (2,290m) 3 hrs
- Day 3 Day excursion around Rara Lake
- Day 4 Optional: Day hike to Chhuchemara Hilltop (4090m)
- Day 5 Hike from Rara National Park to Talcha Airport (2,950m) 3 hrs. Fly to Nepalgunj
- Day 6 Flight Nepalgunj - Kathmandu
- Speaking like a local – useful lingo for the trail Nov 12, 2015
- Picture Perfect Nepal – A beginner’s guide to mountain photography Apr 26, 2016
- Running like a girl Mar 08, 2016