Khaptad National Park
Khaptad National Park is a well-hidden treasure in the Far Western corner of Nepal. Due to its remote location, it is still relatively untouched by tourism development, which makes Khaptad a perfect destination for the adventurer looking for a real wilderness experience.
Khaptad offers you a beautiful variety of landscapes, with rolling green hills, moorlands, steep slopes and streams. 567 species of flora have been recorded in the protected area, including rhododendron forests, oak and pine forests. From the park you can see the Api and Saipal Himalayan ranges.
Khaptad is great for spotting wildlife and birds, with 23 species of mammals and 287 types of birds. Mammal species symbolic of the park are leopard, Himalayan black bear, wild dog and musk deer. Bird species include the beautiful Impeyan pheasant (danphe; Nepal’s national bird), Peregrin falcon, the white rumped vulture and many types of partridges, flycatchers, bulbuls, cuckoos and eagles.
Besides its natural beauty Khaptad also has a rich spiritual history. Khaptad Baba, the renowned spiritual saint after which this region takes its name, is said to have meditated here for 50 years. Time your visit with the full moon in July and August when Hindu pilgrims come to worship Lord Shiva in the Khaptad Baba Ashram.
If you plan to trek in the winter, check with a local travel agency if lodges are open.
January, February, March, April, May, September, October, November, December
Level of Difficulty
Entrance Khaptad National Park
- Day 1 Flight Kathmandu - Dhangadhi
- Day 2 Drive Dhangadhi - Bajhang (also called Tamail) 9 hrs
- Day 3 Hike Bajhang (1300 m) to Khaptad Campsite (3020 m) 7 hrs
- Day 4 Explore Khaptad and visit Khaptad Baba Ashram (3020 m)
- Day 5 Khaptad Campsite (3020 m) - Bichpani Camp (2905 m) 5 hrs
- Day 6 Bichpani Camp (2905 m) - Silgadhi (1340 m) 5 hrs
- Day 7 Drive to Dhangadhi 9 hrs
- Day 8 Flight Dhangadhi - Kathmandu
You may like
- Picture Perfect Nepal – A beginner’s guide to mountain photography Apr 26, 2016
- A guide to Teahouse Trekking in Nepal Jun 30, 2017
- The Muddy Mayhem of Ropain Jul 08, 2015