Annapurna Dhaulagiri Community
Just to the West of the Annapurna Sanctuary route, one of Nepal’s most visited areas, lies the Annapurna Dhaulagiri Community Trek. Until recently only self-sufficient camping expeditions were possible in this area, but with the establishment of 5 community lodges and a homestay program this beautiful landscape has been opened up for off the beaten track “teahouse trekking”.
The trail is also called the Myagdi Parbat Eco-trek and is located near the Poon Hill area. This is one of several new community-managed projects in Nepal where the benefits from tourism reaches the whole community.
The trek offers a unique Nepal experience with a mixture of nature and culture. The views from Khopra, the highest point of the trek (3,650 m), are far better than from the frequently visited Poon Hill with panoramas of both the Annapurna and Dhaulagiri mountain ranges. In addition you’ll have plenty of opportunity to engage with the friendly villagers you’ll meet along the trail. Tip: Don’t miss the yak farm in Kopra Ridge. The only place in the Annapurnas where you can encounter the famous yaks.
Variations of the suggested trail in this itinerary are possible. For additional information visit the Annapurna Dhaulagiri Community Trail on Facebook. If you plan on trekking in the winter months please find out from a local tour operator which teahouses are open.
January, February, March, April, May, September, October, November, December
Level of Difficulty
ACAP and TIMS
- Day 1 Flight Kathmandu - Pokhara and drive to Nayapul (1 1/2 hrs), trek to Ghandruk (1940 m) 5 hrs
- Day 2 Ghandruk (1940 m) - Tadapani (2590 m) 4 hrs
- Day 3 Tadapani (2590 m) - Bayali Kharka (3450 m) 6 hrs
- Day 4 Bayali Kharka (3450 m) - Upper Chistibung (2990 m) 4 hrs
- Day 5 Upper Chistibung (2990 m) - Khopra Ridge (3650 m) 3 hrs, 1/2 day hike in Khopra Ridge optional
- Day 6 Khopra Ridge (3650 m) - Swanta (2195 m) 6 hrs
- Day 7 Swanta (2195 m) - Danda Kharka (2850 m) 6 hrs
- Day 8 Danda Kharka (2850 m) - Tikot (2278 m) via Poon Hill (3210 m) 8 hrs
- Day 9 Tikot (2278 m) - Beni (850 m) 5 hrs trek or 2 hrs drive on dusty road during the dry months
- Day 10 Beni (850 m) - Pokhara (4 hr bus ride) or to Kathmandu (9 hr bus ride)
- Trekker’s Journal: Mardi Himal Base Camp is calling May 23, 2016
- 3 highlights of the Annapurna Base Camp Trek Oct 28, 2016
- Speaking like a local – useful lingo for the trail Nov 12, 2015