Everest Base Camp Trek via Gokyo Lake
A trek to Everest Base Camp is high on the bucket list for many trekkers. It’s easy to see why. The trail weaves along the foot of many Himalayan giants and the views of Mt Everest and many other seven and eight thousand meter peaks are just unforgettable.
After Namche Bazar the trail ascends above the tree line and you quite quickly find yourself walking in a stunning high-altitude landscape. The walk to Everest Base Camp (5364 m) from Gorakhshep should not be missed. The trail leads over Khumbu Glacier and Nuptse (7861 m) is so close you can almost touch it.
From Everest Base Camp you have a close view of the Khumbu Ice Fall, only one of the big challenges the Everest expeditions face on the bid to the summit.
Starting from Lukla Airport (2840 m) you need about 2 weeks for the Everest Base Camp trek. The itinerary described below combines the Everest Base Camp trek with a visit to the stunning Gokyo Lakes. From Gokyo you cross the Cho La (5420 m) which brings you into the Khumbu Valley in which the Everest Base Camp lies.
Well-equipped lodges are scattered around the region and run by the friendly Sherpa people.
This trek reaches high altitudes quite quickly so it is important to take the suggested acclimatization days and to be aware of signs of altitude sickness. For more information please refer to the health and safety section.
March, April, May, September, October, November
Level of Difficulty
TIMS, Entrance Sagarmatha National Park
- Day 1 Flight Kathmandu - Lukla (2840 m) and trek to Phakding (2610 m) 5 hrs
- Day 2 Phakding (2610 m) - Namche Bazaar (3450 m) 6 hrs
- Day 3 Acclimatization day Namche Bazar (3450 m). Optional hike to Khumjung and Khunde village (4-5 hrs)
- Day 4 Namche Bazar (3450 m) - Phortse Thanga (3680 m) 4-5 hrs. Afternoon visit to Phortse village (3810 m).
- Day 5 Phortse Thanga (3680 m) - Dhole (4110 m) 3-4 hrs
- Day 6 Dhole (4110 m) - Machherma (4470 m) 3-4 hrs
- Day 7 Machherma (4470 m) - Gokyo (4750 m) 4 hrs
- Day 8 Climb Gokyo Ri (5357 m) and return to Gokyo (4750 m) 3 hrs
- Day 9 Gokyo (4750 m) - Dragnag (4700 m) 3 hrs
- Day 10 Dragnag (4700 m) - Dzongla (4830 m) via Cho-La pass (5420 m) 7-8 hrs
- Day 11 Dzongla (4830 m) - Lobuche (4910 m) 5 hrs
- Day 12 Lobuche (4910m) - Gorak Shep (5140 m). Afternoon visit to Everest Base Camp (5364 m) 8 hrs
- Day 13 Gorak shep (5140 m) - early morning climb Kala Patthar (5550 m) - Pheriche (4240 m) 8 hrs
- Day 14 Pheriche (4240 m) - Tengboche (3860 m) 5 hrs
- Day 15 Tengboche (3860 m) - Monjo (2835 m) 7 hrs
- Day 16 Monjo (2835 m) - Lukla (2840 m) 6-7 hrs
- Day 17 Flight Lukla (2840 m) - Kathmandu
Specialised Operators offering this itinerary
You may like
- Speaking like a local – useful lingo for the trail Nov 12, 2015
- 7 Tips for Monsoon Trekking Jul 27, 2016
- Happy 2073! Celebrating New Year’s in Nepal Apr 22, 2016