Tsum Valley and Ganesh Himal Base Camp Trek
The remote Tsum Valley is one of the hidden gems of Nepal. Tsum Valley is known as the Beyul Kyimolung, the holy hidden valley of happiness first described by Guru Rimpoche (Padmasambhava) in the eighth century. Milarepa meditated in the caves of Piren Phu and there are centuries old nunneries.
The Tibetan Buddhist culture is still very prevalent in Tsum and the scenery is stunning with beautiful forests and countryside overshadowed by the towering Ganesh Himal. Tsum comes from the Tibetan word ‘Tsombo’, which means vivid and after visiting Tsum, you will understand how the valley got this name.
Many people combine the Tsum Valley with the Manaslu Circuit starting in Arughat Bazaar and ending in Besisahar. Besisahar is also the starting point for the Annapurna circuit. The trail starts low, passing through lush green countryside and small Hindu villages. You enter Tsum Valley from the main trail and will soon find yourself in beautiful pine and rhododendron forests. Heading east the valley opens up to reveal beautiful landscapes and small Tibetan-style villages. There are basic guesthouses all along the trail so you can choose if you want to camp or stay at the teahouses/guesthouses.
It’s possible to do this trek in 9 days by shortening the trek at day 6 in the itinerary.
March, April, May, September, October, November
Camping, Teahouse/Lodge, Homestay
Level of Difficulty
Restricted Area Trekking Permit to Tsum Valley and Manaslu Conservation Area Project (MCAP) permit both issued by Immigration office Kathmandu (www.immi.gov.np).
- Day 1 Kathmandu - Arugath Bazar (550 m) 7 hrs bus/jeep ; 2 hrs more by jeep to Soti Khola (700 m)
- Day 2 Soti Khola (700 m) - Machhakhola (930 m) 6 hrs
- Day 3 Machhakhola (930 m) - Jagat (1340 m) 7 hrs
- Day 4 Jagat (1340 m) - Lokpa (2240 m) 7 hrs
- Day 5 Lokpa (2240 m) - Chumling (2385 m) 5 hrs
- Day 6 Chumling (2385 m) - Chhokang Paro (3031 m) 5-6 hrs (Also possible to do a 9 day trek by going from Chumling to Philim (5-6 hrs) and cary on with itinerary days 15-17 below)
- Day 7 Chhokang Paro (3031 m) - Chhule (3347 m) 6-7 hrs
- Day 8 Chhule (3347 m) - Mu Gompa (3700 m) 3 hrs
- Day 9 Mu Gompa (3700 m) - Rachen (3240 m) 5 hrs
- Day 10 Rachen (3240 m) - Domje (2460 m) 6 hrs
- Day 11 Domje (2460 m) - Gumba Lungdang (3200 m) 6 hrs
- Day 12 Day hike/exploration to Ganesh Himal Base Camp (4200m) 6-7 hrs
- Day 13 Gumba Lungdang (3200 m) - Ripchet (2470m) 7 hrs
- Day 14 Ripchet (2470m) - Philim (1570 m) 7 hrs
- Day 15 Philim (1570 m) - Khorla Bensi (970 m) 7 hrs
- Day 16 Khorla Bensi (970 m) - Soti Khola (700 m) 7 hrs
- Day 17 Drive Soti Khola (700 m) - Kathmandu (8-9 hrs)
Specialised Operators offering this itinerary
- 5 Things To Do In Nepal on Valentine’s Day. If you must. Feb 14, 2016
- The Muddy Mayhem of Ropain Jul 08, 2015
- 10 photos on things we love about spring trekking in Nepal Apr 05, 2017