Rara Lake to Khaptad National Park Trek
This extraordinary trek takes you from Rara Lake, Nepal’s biggest lake, to Khaptad National Park, a hidden gem in Far West Nepal.
The serenely beautiful Rara Lake is surrounded by snow-capped mountains and thick pine forests. It is a stunning sight, especially on a still day when the mountains and clouds reflect in the tranquil waters.
Khaptad offers you a beautiful variety of landscapes, with rolling green hills, moorlands, steep slopes and streams. 567 species of flora have been recorded in this protected area, including rhododendron forests, oak and pine forests. From the park you can see the Api and Saipal Himalayan ranges.
Khaptad is great for spotting wildlife and birds, with 23 species of mammals and 287 types of birds. Mammal species symbolic of the park are leopard, Himalayan black bear, wild dog and musk deer. Bird species include the beautiful Impeyan pheasant (danphe; Nepal’s national bird), Peregrin falcon, the white rumped vulture and many types of partridges, flycatchers, bulbuls, cuckoos and eagles.
Go into the wild and venture through thick forests, alpine landscapes and remote mountain villages which have seen very few tourists. This is a perfect trek for the adventurer looking for a real wilderness experience.
The accommodation on this trek is a mix of camping and basic teahouses. In the winter season please check with a your travel agency if teahouses are open.
January, February, March, April, May, September, October, November, December
Level of Difficulty
Entrance Rara and Khaptad National Park
- Day 1 Fly Kathmandu - Nepalgunj
- Day 2 Flight Nepalgunj to Talcha Airport (2200 m) - walk or drive to Rara Lake (2990 m) 3 hrs
- Day 3 Explore Rara Lake. Visit Murma Top, take a walk around the lake (13km) or explore some of the view points.
- Day 4 Rara Lake (2990 m) - Sirkot (2041 m) 6 hrs
- Day 5 Sirkot (2041 m) - Jholunge Pul (1400 m) 7 hrs
- Day 6 Jholunge Pul (1400 m) - Kolti (1390 m) 7 hrs
- Day 7 Kolti (1390 m) - Martadi (1591 m) 10 hrs
- Day 8 Martadi (1591 m) - Dogadi (1490 m) 6 hrs
- Day 9 Dogadi (1490 m) - Khaptad Campsite (3020 m) 8-9 hrs
- Day 10 Explore Khaptad National Park and visit Khaptad Baba Ashram
- Day 11 Khaptad Campsite (3020 m) - Bajhang (Tamail) 9 hrs
- Day 12 Drive to Dhangadhi, 9 hrs
- Day 13 Flight Dhangadhi- Kathmandu
- Speaking like a local – useful lingo for the trail Nov 12, 2015
- The Mo:Mo – Five Facts, Best Eats and mo’ Jan 21, 2016
- 10 photos on things we love about spring trekking in Nepal Apr 05, 2017