Mardi Himal Trek
Situated just east of one of the most popular treks of Nepal, the Annapurna Base Camp trek, the Mardi Himal trek is a hidden gem. Few trekkers make their way to the Mardi Himal Base Camp spectacularly situated at the base of Mardi Himal and the impressive Machapuchhre.
The trail goes along small winding paths, through magical rhododendron forests until you climb out of the forest at an elevation around 3,300 m. The landscape changes quite abruptly into a rugged high mountain landscape, with amazing views of Mardi Himal, Machapuchre, Annapurna South and Hiunchuli.
From High Camp (3580 m; some maps incorrectly mention 3900 m) you can climb up to Mardi Himal Base Camp in about 3-4 hours, which offers spectacular close up views of the entire Annapurna Range.
There are simple guesthouses and homestays along the entire route. If you plan to do this trek in the winter months please check with a local tour operator if the lodges are open.
March, April, May, September, October, November
Level of Difficulty
ACPAP and TIMS
- Day 1 Flight Kathmandu - Pokhara (or drive 7 hrs) - drive to Kande (1 hrs) - trek to Pitam-Deurali (2100 m) 2.5 hrs
- Day 2 Pitam-Deurali (2100 m) - Forest Camp (2550 m) 4-5 hrs
- Day 3 Forest Camp (2550 m) - Low Camp (2990 m) 3 hrs
- Day 4 Low Camp (2990 m) - High Camp (3580 m) 3 hrs
- Day 5 Day hike to Mardi Himal Base Camp (4500 m) and return to High Camp (3580 m) 6-7 hrs
- Day 6 High Camp (3580 m) - Sidhing (1850 m) 6 hrs
- Day 7 Sidhing (1850 m) - Lumre 3 hrs - drive to Pokhara 3 hrs
- Day 8 Flight or bus Pokhara - Kathmandu
- Going the distance – Trekking the full Great Himalaya Trails Mar 28, 2017
- 5 Things To Do In Nepal on Valentine’s Day. If you must. Feb 14, 2016
- A Guide to the Best Base Camp Treks in Nepal Dec 29, 2017