Langtang Traverse via Tilman Pass
It’s possible to continue on your trek from the Everest region into Langtang & Helambu via Panch Pokhari and the glaciated 5308 m Tilman pass. The crossing of the pass is quite technical and involves the need of mountain equipment like ropes and crampons. Your efforts will be rewarded: the views from the pass are spectacular and you can see straight into Tibet. The descent from the pass takes you from gigantic glaciers to a very different world of alpine meadows and cheese factories.
The trail continues through the Langtang Valley and the verdant gorge of the Langtang Khola. Rhododendrons blend into moss-hung pine trees and you’ll encounter occasional yaks trundling down pastures on their way home. Keep an eye out for Blue Poppy flowers, families of playful langur monkeys and the iridescent Impeyan pheasant, the national bird of Nepal.
The areas in and around Langtang Valley and Kyanjin Gompa were severely damaged by the earthquakes in 2015. Today trails and tourism facilities are under construction and trekkers have started to revisit this area. Please contact your local tour operator for further updates on exploring this region of the GHT.
March, April, May, September, October, November
Camping, Teahouse/Lodge, Homestay
The Last Resort / Borderlands
Level of Difficulty
TIMS and Langtang National Park Entrance
- Day 1 Drive Kathmandu - Borderlands or The Last Resort (1170) 4 hrs
- Day 2 The Last Resort/Borderlands (1170 m) - Listi (2260 m) 5 hrs
- Day 3 Listi (2260 m) - Shotang Kharka (3379 m) 7 hrs
- Day 4 Shotang Kharka (3379 m) - Chogomogor Kharka (3925 m) 5-6 hrs
- Day 5 Chogomogor Kharka (3925 m) - Kyansin (2520 m) 5 hrs
- Day 6 Kyansin (2520 m) - Tembathang (2160 m) 5 hrs
- Day 7 Tembathang (2160 m) - Chedupa Kharka (2513 m) 7 hrs
- Day 8 Chedupa Kharka (2513 m) - Nemagchukpa kharka (3578 m) 5 hrs
- Day 9 Nemagchukpa kharka (3578 m) - Panch Pokhari (4074 m) 5 hrs
- Day 10 Panch Pokhari (4074 m). Rest day.
- Day 11 Panch Pokhari (4074 m) - Intermediary Camp (4273 m) 4 hrs
- Day 12 Intermediary Camp (4273 m) - Tin Pokhari (4255 m) 4 hrs
- Day 13 Tin Pokhari (4255 m) - High South Camp (4867 m) 5 hrs
- Day 14 High South Camp (4867 m) - High North Camp (4720m) via Tilman pass (5308m) 8 hrs
- Day 15 High North Camp (4720m) - Kyanjin Gomba (3830m) 7 hrs
- Day 16 Kyangjin Gompa (3830 m) 7 hrs. Rest day.
- Day 17 Kyangjin Gompa (3830 m) - Ghora Tabela (3030 m) 6 hrs
- Day 18 Ghora Tabela (3030 m) - Syabru Besi (1503m) 6 hrs
- Day 19 Syabru Besi (1503 m) - Kathmandu by bus (8 hrs)
- The Muddy Mayhem of Ropain Jul 08, 2015
- Picture Perfect Nepal – A beginner’s guide to mountain photography Apr 26, 2016
- Memories of Gosaikunda: A Travelogue Feb 05, 2017