Everest to Rolwaling Traverse via Tashi Labsta
The Everest to Rolwaling Traverese makes for an amazing trek, combining the classic Everest Base Camp trail with the stunning Gokyo Lakes and the challenging passes of Cho La and Tashi Labsta, the latter leading into Rolwaling.
The views on the Everest Base Camp trail are simply unbeatable with the mighty Himalayas towering high above you. While the beginning of this trail is getting more and more populated by fellow trekkers, the numbers drop toward Gokyo and on the trail to the Tashi Labsta you’ll encounter few tourists.
Gokyo Ri (5360 m) offers incredible views of the turquoise Gokyo Lakes, impressive glaciers and the memorable vistas of the Himalayan giants Mt Everest (8848 m) and Cho Oyo (8188 m).
Crossing the high pass of Tashi Labsta (5755 m) is a real challenge. The trail is sometimes hard to find so hiring a guide who knows the pass is a good idea for this part of the trek. Mountaineering equipment such as ice ax, ropes and crampons are recommended. It’s possible to find a guide and equipment for this portion in Thame. Camping is necessary for the bit crossing Tashi Labsta.
Once conquered Tashi Labsta brings you into the countryside of Rolwaling with small villages surrounded by agricultural terraces; quite a contrast to the first part of the trek!
March, April, May, September, October, November
The Last Resort / Borderlands
Level of Difficulty
Restricted Area Trekking Permit for Tashi Labsta La/Rolwaling region, TIMS, Gaurishanker Conservation Area Project (GCAP), Sagarmatha National Park Entry Permit. All permits issued by Immigration Office Kathmandu (www.immi.gov.no)
- Day 1 Flight Kathmandu - Lukla (2840 m); trek to Phakding (2610 m) 5 hrs
- Day 2 Phakding (2610 m) - Namche Bazaar (3450 m) 6 hrs.
- Day 3 Namche Bazaar (3450 m). Acclimatization day. Optional trek to Khumjung and Khunde village (4-5 hrs)
- Day 4 Namche Bazaar (3450 m) - Tengboche (3860 m) 5 hrs
- Day 5 Tengboche (3860 m) - Dingboche (4410 m) 5 hrs
- Day 6 Dingboche (4410 m). Rest day. Optional trek to Chhukung Ri (5500 m) 7-8 hrs
- Day 7 Dingboche (4410 m) - Lobuche (4910 m) 4 hrs
- Day 8 Lobuche (4910 m) - Gorak Shep (5140 m) afternoon visit to Everest Base Camp (5360 m) 7 hrs
- Day 9 Gorak Shep (5140 m) - Morning visit to Kala Patthar (5550 m) - Trek to Lobuche (4910 m) 6 hrs
- Day 10 Lobuche (4910 m) - Dzongla (4830 m) 5 hrs
- Day 11 Dzongla (4830 m) - Dragnag (4700 m) via Cho-La pass (5420 m) 7 hrs
- Day 12 Dragnag (4700 m) - Gokyo Lake (4750 m) 3 hrs
- Day 13 Gokyo Lake (4750 m). Rest day. Climb Gokyo Ri (5360 m) for views of Everest and Cho Oyu. Round trip 3 hrs.
- Day 14 Gokyo Lake (4750 m) - Lumde (4380 m) via Renjo-La Pass (5360 m) 7-8 hrs
- Day 15 Lumde (4380 m) - Thame (3820 m) 4 hrs
- Day 16 Thame (3820 m) - Pachemuche Tsho (4780 m) 6 hrs
- Day 17 Pachemuche Tsho (4780 m) - Ngole (5110 m) 3 hrs
- Day 18 Ngole (5110 m) - Tashi Labsta Camp (5665 m) 3 hrs
- Day 19 Tashi Labsta Camp (5665 m) - Glacier Camp (4735 m) via Tashi Labsta-La pass (5755 m) 8-9 hrs
- Day 20 Glacier Camp (4735 m) - Na Gaon (4180 m) 7 hrs
- Day 21 Na Gaon (4180 m) - Dokhang (2791 m) 7 hrs
- Day 22 Dokhang (2791 m) - Simigaon (2036 m) 5 hrs
- Day 23 Simigaon (2036 m) - Bulungse (2000 m) 7-8 hrs
- Day 24 Bulungse (2000 m) - Loting (1768 m) 6 hrs
- Day 25 Loting (1768 m) - Bigu Gompa (2516 m) 5 hrs
- Day 26 Bigu Gompa (2516 m) - Sano Jyandan (3127 m) via Tinsang-La pass (3798 m) 7 hrs
- Day 27 Sano Jyandan (3127 m) - Borderlands or The Last Resort (1170 m) 6 hrs
- Day 28 Drive to Kathmandu by bus (4 hrs)
- A guide to Teahouse Trekking in Nepal Jun 30, 2017
- AdventureWeek – Promoting adventure travel in Nepal Oct 16, 2015
- Happy 2073! Celebrating New Year’s in Nepal Apr 22, 2016